1-day Masterclass Scientific Writing and Publishing
Roland J.W. Meesters PhD
Editor Journal of Applied Bioanalysis
Being able to write high qualitative scientific articles is often the basis for successfully pursuing a professional academic career. Yet, while English writing is an integral part of academic life, many scientists are unsure about what is considered "good writing", or how the writing and publication process can best be planned and managed.The Academic Writing and Publishing masterclass consists of two main parts:
- in the first, more general part, we the course will introduce and discuss practical important strategies for writing English sentences, paragraphs, and texts that meet the expectations of reviewers, and journal editors alike.
- In the second part, journal selection, manuscript submission, peer review and manuscript revision will be presented and discussed. Furthermore, academic publishing ethics will be discussed.
By the end of the masterclass, you should be aware of the fundamental criteria for good academic writing and, therefore, be able to prepare your own texts more easily and reflectively for publication.
The Scientific Writing and Publishing masterclass addresses specific subjects to gain a deeper understanding of how you can communicate your research most effectively. By the end of the masterclass, attendees are able to:
- Understand scientific writing techniques
- Know how to organize, outline, plan and submit a paper
- Construct correct sentences and paragraphs
- Know the elements of a scientific paper
- Understand editorial processes and peer review
- Know about ethical issues of scientific publishing
To participate in this masterclass, you need a reasonable knowledge of English (at least a solid B1 level) and especially a good ability to communicate quite fluently in English.
Maximum 20 participants. The masterclass language will be English.
All course materials are included in themasterclass fee and will be handeed-out at the start of the masterclass. The course materials include ring view binder with handouts, writing material (pen and block note).
The workshop fee is 99,00 € (all-in fee)
The fee covers the admission to the event and participation in the masterclass, course materials, coffee breaks and lunch. Advance payment of the full fixed fee is required. The full fixed fee is due regardless of the time the participant spends at masterclass and cannot be reduced. The Registration can only be considered completed and valid only after the receipt of the fee payment. *(VAT may be applicable).
The next masterclass will be held in Kerkrade (the Netherlands) on Saturday, October 13th, 2018.